Agostino

 There is so much to think about after reading Agostino. Although I'm confused, not confused in the way where I don't understand the story, because I definitely understand why this story was written, but confused in the way where I have never seen a book take on growing up, sexuality, etc.. the way this one did, and it leaves me with many thoughts. 

I may have said The Shrouded Woman was my favourite so far, but this one now takes the lead. Out of all of the novels I have read so far this one felt the most modern in a way, in terms of writing style and overall content which made it very easy to understand and almost felt like something I picked up myself and started reading, not something for an assignment. 

After the first few pages of this novel I could already catch on to what the themes of the story were. There are a couple things that I don't know necessarily if they have the correct take on, but I'm not one to say they aren't correct either. We've seen these concepts in Psychology courses, specifically the Freudian Oedipus Complex. 

This coming of age novel takes ideas from inside of a young boys mind and sees how growing up and going through puberty may really feel. There is such an interesting relationship described with his mother. It is mother son love presented in a way that almost sexualizes it, which left me very confused but also curious to read on and see how Agostinos mind is perceiving this love for his mother. Although I can't say that this is really how things are growing up, I think the book did a really good job at thoroughly explaining these sexual and jealous feelings that Agostino was feeling to help readers understand

There was one part where Agostino mentions this "hatred" for his mother that leaves his cheeks burning is what he lives for. Like he waits for this burning jealousy to be lit in him everyday, and as much as he despises it and wants to hate his mother so bad, he almost loves it. He hated his mothers love.

This is a sense of passionate jealousy that I have personally felt in past relationships, mostly very toxic ones, and it makes you wonder if this view he has on his mother is really is just a part of growing up or if it is something unhealthy. 

Another part to mention was when Agostino described how when he is alone with his mother, "a strong woman, had no need of assistance in climbing back on the boat... apparently indulging in a feminine clumsiness...", "the mother, a large and dignified woman... and her dignity, a boring habit that she now needed to replace with some awkward playfulness". I thought these quotes displayed the reality behind a lot of romance, how women can almost make themselves feel small to appeal to the man they are in love with. This isn't true in every romance but I thought it was interesting how the book touched on this, as I never seen be portrayed before. 

Comments

  1. Hi Sidney! I really enjoyed reading your post:)
    I agree with what you said about reading this novel for yourself, rather than for an assignment. Although I wouldn't go as far as to say it was my favourite, there was never a point in the novel where I felt like I was being forced to read it, instead, I found it to be very engaging! I also liked what you had to say about Agostino's descriptions of his mothers. I, too, found them to be quite interesting –specifically in how they highlight, as you mentioned, women making themselves seem small in order to attract men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "it makes you wonder if this view he has on his mother is really is just a part of growing up or if it is something unhealthy."

    I think this is a good question... in some ways, *the* question for this book. I'd love to hear your own answer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Amulet

The Old Gringo

Combray - Proust