W or The Memory of Childhood

I definitely found this book more confusing than others that we have read in this course (since Swann's Way). It took me a little bit to understand that it was switching between autobiography and fiction, but once I understood that, it made it much easier to understand. I actually ended up finding the aspect of alternating between the two texts very interesting and unlike anything i've seen or read before. 

From what I understand, Georges is trying to recall memories from his childhood but it seems as though there are gaps in his memories, which you don't often see being portrayed in books. His memories are clearly uncertain and did not necessarily add up at times, both stories do come together in a way beautifully. 

One thing I did notice and enjoy was how this book tied nicely into the common themes we have been seeing throughout this course. Memories being one that occurs in almost every book I have chosen to read so far. As well as family being another prominent theme. As mentioned before, this book was as confusing as Swann's Way was for me, but also reminded me of Swann's Way through these two themes. This makes it very enjoyable to read as I was able to connect and relate to other books while I was reading. 

Another thing I enjoyed was the use of different fonts to differentiate the two alternating stories that were being told. This helped me, once I understood that there were two stories being told, really tap into each story individually and guide me in visualizing the two separate stories. The title was something that was confusing to me at first as well, but as said earlier, once I understood there were two stories, the title also helped me see each story on its own. 

A question and thought I had for this novel was whether or not the circumstances of his childhood plays a part in these uncertain and patchy memories he is having, or if it just showing the reality that memories can be forgotten or changed overtime... Maybe the trauma and strong emotions he was feeling from his parents death caused him to forget some parts of his childhood. 




Comments

  1. "A question and thought I had for this novel was whether or not the circumstances of his childhood plays a part in these uncertain and patchy memories he is having, or if it just showing the reality that memories can be forgotten or changed overtime."
    Probably both. The point is that he tries to rebuild with what he has, images, stories, tales, but there are still things that are unsayable (perhaps this is related to what he could not say when he lived during the war)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Amulet

The Old Gringo

Combray - Proust